Saturday, August 29, 2009

Melbourne Day

It's Melbourne Day tomorrow and there's loads happening in the city of Melbourne.
According to the Melb Day booklet next to me now, the 30th of August in 1835 is the day where "a handful of intrepid pioneers landed on the north bank of the Yarra and looked on the vast expanse of land that dawrfed them".

Melbourne Day here basically celebrates the founding of the city that houses millions of aussies, migrants and international students. The day also acknowledges the city's importance as meeting place for traditional owners: the Kulin nation including the Wurundjeri, Boonerwrung, Taungurong, Djajawarrung and Wathaurung people (i never ever knew that those words even existed!).

As the Lord Major of Melbourne Robert Doyle writes, "it's a day to honour Melbourne's unique character: just as early settlers pulled together to build a dream, our community continues to strive for inclusiveness with a spirit of enterprise."

In simpler words, it's honouring all the interesting sights in Melb and also giving us free/discounted entry to loads of city attractions.

Awesomenesss.....

Meaning, we can visit places which I've always wanted to for free or by getting a 2 for 1 entry!
How great is that?

That also means that the city will be PACKED with people from all over.
PACKED.
The free city circle tram would be jammed up like sardines in a tin can.
The streets would be filled with aussies/visitors/international students/residents with a melboure day booklet in hand trying to figure out how many attractions they can fit in a day.
Crossing out the sights which are least important and making sure that they make it for the ones on the top of their list.

You can only imagine what I've done! hahaha..
I have almost everything planned for tomorrow! How can I not rite?

I've listed down the places that I want to visit tomorrow.

They include the Melbourne Aquarium ( I love aquariums, fishies and I have yet to see a penguin),



Melbourne's Tall Ship (where there's free entry and a free tour available),


Cooks' Cottage (one of Melbourne's oldest landmark with free guided tours, games and fun activities),

Chinese Museum (I'm chinese so I've gotta check out a chinese museum at least rite? See what they have to say about us or if everything I know about being chinese is all made up!),



the Hellenic Museum (which explores the legacy of the Greek immigrant experience),



the Melbourne City Cruises (still considering this actually)


the Melbourne Golden Mine Guided Walk



the Eureka Skydek 88 (where i can be at the highest viewing platform in the southern hemisphere).



Melbourne 360: Melbourne Observation Deck at Rialto


I've written down in my handy notebook the address of these places, opening hours, prices and also how we need to get there (whether by trams or by foot).

The only thing left is deciding which attraction to go first, where to have lunch in between and how many I can fit into the day because everything closes at 5pm and last entry for most places is at 4.30pm.

According to the weather forecast, it's going to be a cloudy day tomorrow. There might be a chance of thunderstorms and small hail early in the morning. They also said something about scattered showers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't rain tomorrow or it'll suck having to walk around melbourne city with an umbrella trying to get to the next destination as quickly as possible. i realised that I should go to the aquarium in the morning since it's indoors so I don't have to be in the rain!

I've gotta charge my camera and get a good nights rest tonight to make sure I'm all charged up for tomorrow's tourist mode!
Going to watch Pelham 123 later at 9.10pm...

Till the next one,
Happy 174th birthday Melbourne!!!

No comments: